Property Search

Recreation & Parks

Departments & Services




YTown News

What to Bring When Submitting for a New House Permit

Color Logo Charter Township of Ypsilanti A Community of Opportunity

Civic Center w Address

The following information shall be submitted to the Building Department for review and approval of a “single family dwelling”:


1. Structural plans – 3 copies of structural plans are needed: 1 will be retained for department files; 1 will be kept on site and 1 for Assessing Department.

At the Building Directors discretion, some approved sets of plans will be copied to a cd, at the applicant’s expense, and must be returned to the CED Dept. prior to issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.


2. Plot Plan and Grading Plan – The plot plan drawing in accordance with an accurate boundary line survey showing, to scale, the size and location of all the new construction and all existing structures on the site and distances from lot lines. The plot plan shall also show the established street grades, proposed structures, existing structures, sidewalk and easement for final grades and elevations at each lot corner and at all other grade points. The proposed finish earth grades of the house and the finish earth grades of houses on adjacent lots must be shown. See Section 5.41, 5.42, Engineering Specifications (attached) for details. Before a certificate of occupancy is released, a grading certificate under Section 5.43 (as built) will be required from the grading engineer or land surveyor.


3. Floodplains, Wetlands, Easements – These areas must be reflected on the plot plan and their distances from any structures on the lot or parcel. The floodplain map is available in the Community & Economic Development Department to “confirm floodway zone areas” in Ypsilanti Township. The Community & Economic Development Department indicate if there are possible wetlands on the property; however, the Department of Environmental Quality must be contacted for “wetland determinations”.


4. Health Permit for Septic Tank and Well – Washtenaw County Health Department (734) 971-4542.


5. Public Water & Sewer Tap Application – Ypsilanti Community Utilities Authority (YCUA) (734) 484-4600.


6. Driveway Approach Permit – Washtenaw County Road Commission (734) 761-1500.


7. Proof of Ownership – tax bill, print out verification from Assessor’s Office, deed, land contract in addition to a statement from owner stating no objections to the erection of a residence on this land.


8. New Split – Please make sure that this division is recorded with the Assessor’s Office and submit a copy of said recorded split to the Community Development Department.


9. Pre-manufactured/Modular Built Homes

a. A certificate of approval must be submitted from the State Construction Code or Department of HUD if the home is “pre-manufactured/modular” built.

b. Required Conditions – See Section 403 for required conditions for pre-manufactured/modular homes (attached).


The above requirements are subject to the review of the Building Official, Building Inspector, Mechanical & Plumbing Inspector, Electrical Inspector and Zoning Administrator.


Charter Township of Ypsilanti  •  7200 S. Huron River Dr. Ypsilanti, Mi 48197  •  (734) 484 - 4700

Mon. - Fri., 8:30am - 4:30pm  •  Closed 12:00pm - 1:00pm daily