Property Search

Recreation & Parks

Departments & Services




YTown News

New Homes & Home Additions

Color Logo Charter Township of Ypsilanti A Community of Opportunity

Civic Center w Address

For more information, please visit Section 1801 of the Zoning Ordinance.

For detached single-family dwellings, the following conditions must be met:

  • Dwelling units shall conform to all applicable township codes and ordinances. Any such local requirements are not intended to abridge applicable state or federal requirements with respect to the construction of the dwelling. Dwelling units shall be constructed to the requirements of the Michigan Construction Code Act of 1972 (Act No. 230 of the Public Acts of Michigan of 1972, as amended) and the National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974, as amended.
  • The setbacks, gross floor area, and lot coverage of any proposed single-family dwelling unit shall comply with the standards set forth in Section 2000 of the Zoning Ordinance.
  • Dwelling units shall be permanently attached to a perimeter foundation. In instances where the applicant elects to set the dwelling on piers or other acceptable foundations which are not at the perimeter of the dwelling, then a perimeter wall shall also be constructed. Any such perimeter wall shall be constructed of durable materials and shall also meet all local requirements with respect to materials, construction and necessary foundations below the frostline. Any such wall shall also provide an appearance which is compatible with the dwelling and other homes in the area.
  • Dwelling units shall be provided with exterior finish materials similar to the dwelling units on adjacent properties or in the surrounding residential neighborhood.
  • Dwelling units shall have a roof with a minimum 4:12 pitch and minimum eight-inch eave, and with a drainage system that will collect and concentrate the discharge of storm water or snow away from the sides of the dwelling. The roof shall have wood shake, asphalt or other acceptable shingles, and meet the snow load standards for southern Michigan.
  • Dwelling units shall be oriented on the lot to be consistent with the configuration of dwelling units on adjacent properties and in the surrounding residential neighborhood. All dwelling units shall have width to depth and depth to width ratio that does not exceed three to one (3:1). All dwelling units shall have a minimum width dimension of 24 feet.
  • Dwelling units shall be oriented toward the public right-of-way such that the facade that faces the street is manifestly designed as a front facade containing a door, windows and other architectural features customary of the front facade of a residence. There shall be a minimum of two exterior doors with one facing the street. All entrances shall be provided with steps, a stoop or porch that is permanently attached, on a frost depth foundation, either to the perimeter wall.
  • The dwelling shall contain storage capability in a basement located under the dwelling, in an attic area, in closet areas, or in a separate structure of standard construction similar to or of better quality than the principal dwelling, which storage area shall be equal to ten percent of the square footage of the dwelling or 100 square feet, whichever shall be less.
  • Any such home shall be anchored by an anchoring system approved by the township.
  • The zoning administrator may request a review by the planning commission of any dwelling unit with respect to items above. The planning commission shall review the proposed dwelling at a hearing where notice of such hearing shall be provided to all occupants of dwellings within 300 feet of the lot to contain the proposed dwelling. The zoning administrator or planning commission shall not seek to discourage architectural variation, but shall seek to promote the reasonable compatibility of the character of dwelling units, thereby protecting the economic welfare and property value of surrounding residential uses and the township at large. In reviewing any such proposed dwelling unit, the zoning administrator may require the applicant to furnish such plans, elevations and similar documentation as the zoning administrator deems necessary to permit a complete review and evaluation of the proposal. When comparing the proposed dwelling unit to similar types of dwelling areas, consideration shall be given to comparable types of homes within 300 feet. If the area within 300 feet does not contain any such homes, then the nearest 25 similar type dwellings shall be considered.
  • The provisions of this section shall not apply to manufactured homes situated in licensed manufactured housing communities.


The requirements are subject to the review of the building official, building inspector, mechanical inspector, plumbing inspector, electrical inspector, and zoning administrator. For new detached single-family dwellings, the following information shall be submitted for review:

  • Three (3) copies of structural plans are needed (One (1) will be retained for department files, one (1) will be kept on site, and one (1) for Assessing Department).
  • At the building official’s discretion, some approved sets of plans will be copied to a CD, at the applicant’s expense, and must be returned to the Office of Community Standards prior to issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.
  • Plot Plan and Grading Plan: The plot plan drawing in accordance with an accurate boundary line survey showing, to scale, the size and location of all the new construction and all existing structures on the site and distances from lot lines. The plot plan shall also show the established street grades, proposed structures, existing structures, sidewalk and easement for final grades and elevations at each lot corner and at all other grade points. The proposed finish earth grades of the house and the finish earth grades of houses on adjacent lots must be shown. For more information, please visit Section 5.41 and 5.42 of the Engineering Standards & Design Specifications. Before a Certificate of Occupancy is released, a grading certificate (as-built) under Section 5.43 of the Engineering Standards & Design Specifications will be required from the grading engineer or land surveyor.
  • Floodplains, Wetlands, Easements: These areas must be reflected on the plot plan and their distances from any structures on the lot or parcel. For more information, please visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Map Service Center to “confirm floodway zone areas” in Ypsilanti Township. The Office of Community Standards indicates if there are possible wetlands on the property; however, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality must be contacted for wetland determinations.
  • Health Permit for Septic Tank and Well: For more information, please contact the Washtenaw County Health Department.
  • Public Water and Sewer Tap Application: Ypsilanti Community Utilities Authority (YCUA).
  • Driveway Approach Permit: Washtenaw County Road Commission.
  • Proof of Ownership: Tax bill, print out verification from Assessing Department, deed, land contract in addition to a statement from owner stating no objections to the erection of a residence on this land.
  • New Split: Please make sure that this division is recorded with the Assessing Department and submit a copy of said recorded split to the Office of Community Standards.
  • Pre-manufactured/Modular Built Homes: A certificate of approval must be submitted from the State Construction Code or Department of HUD if the home is “pre-manufactured/modular” built.

Required Residential Inspections


Charter Township of Ypsilanti  •  7200 S. Huron River Dr. Ypsilanti, Mi 48197  •  (734) 544 - 4000

Mon. - Fri., 8:30am - 4:30pm  •  Closed 12:00pm - 1:00pm daily