Departments & Services
Hydro Dam Station
A piece of history helping with today's renewable energy needs.
Responsibilities for the department staff include the day to day operations, maintenance, safety, and regulatory compliance. The Township operates Ford Lake Dam, Tyler Dam and Hewens Creek Dam. The Ford Lake Dam and powerhouse was built in the 1930's by Henry Ford to supply electricity to the Ypsilanti Ford Motor Plant for the purpose of manufacturing automobile parts. In 1969, the Ford Motor Company gifted the dam and powerhouse along with about 1,000 acres of land to the City and Township of Ypsilanti. JYRO was formed to manage the acquired property and did so until 1990, when the organization was dissolved. Since then, the ownership of the property remained with the Township and it currently manages the property, including the dam and powerhouse.
Contact Hydro Dam Station: (734) 544 - 3690
Photo courtesy of stephenmccauley.net
Conditions at Ford Lake