Homeowner Guidelines


1. If you have a contractor doing work for you make sure they pull a permit BEFORE the work is started. This is a safeguard for you. Make sure that the contractor is “licensed”. If you have questions concerning an advertisement, ask to see a copy of their license. Check with your local Building Department for any outstanding concerns/workmanship regarding your choice of contractor/s.

2. Please find below a general list of repairs/replacements/improvements requiring a “building” permit but is in no way limited to said list:

a. Roofs, (2 layers only allowed)

b. Siding, (new or replacing)

c. Windows/Doors

d. Sheds, (exceeding 100 square feet)

e. Decks, (attached or unattached)

f. Garage/Carport

g. Swimming Pool

h. Fence (if installing/replacing over 6’)

i. Driveway

j. Sewer (new or replaced)

k. Water Heater (new or replaced)

l. Furnace (new or replaced)

m. Air Conditioner (new or replaced)


Charter Township of Ypsilanti  •  7200 S. Huron River Dr. Ypsilanti, Mi 48197  •  (734) 484 - 4700

Mon. - Fri., 8:30am - 4:30pm  •  Closed 12:00pm - 1:00pm daily